Monday, August 28, 2006

A THoRN STicKinG into My HeaRT...

I just can't seem to accept this. The family has decided by majority that no surgery should be done for my grandpa and therefore he wont know his condition.
I've learnt that the cancer is at its initial stage and based on advises we've accumulated, a surgery would probably give him a better quality and there's a high chance for recovery.
But, after a family discussion...majority would not want a surgery to be done. Reason being that according to them, surgery isnt everything and that the aftercare would be hard on my grandpa and my aunties. My grandpa may not recover from the surgery or even his constant pain as he's already so weak.

Is it our choice to make?? It involves my grandpa's life!! Shouldn't he be given a say in all of this?? There's a chance that with surgery, they can remove the cancer and the pain his suffering should go away. I know that even if we tell him, we will not mention that he has cancer but that there's just something in his tummy which needs to be removed surgically.
There's still HOPE!! What are the odds that someone knows that he has cancer at an early stage?? Most ppl find out when its at an end stage. Shouldn't we be grasping this opportunity?? Isnt this a more logical decision rather than not doing anything and claiming that it would give my grandpa a better quality of life???

Its not like he's any better right now...I mean if we dun do anything his health is garaunteed to go downhill...Isnt that like putting a death sentence on someone??? I'm not puzzled...I'm not confused...I know clearly what both parties are considering.

But at the end of the day, what I'm trully feeling inside is sadness for my grandpa. If the decision made stays, I really dunno how I'll be able to accept everything or even face him. I'm scared of whats to come with his health. I cant imagine a better quality of life the rest of the family promised by doing nothing. How do move from there?? Is this decision really that logical??

1 comment:

lupdup said...

i agree that ur grandpa shud have a say about his treatment. y dun u suggest to ur parents n relatives?