Sunday, October 23, 2005

My BeLoVeD GRandPA

My grandpa...he's a dear person in my life..
He's already 83 years old...and still very healthy for a person of his age...
Chinese believe that if you live over a certain age...usually i think its 80...every year extra is a blessing...And he's a blessing to me...I really never understood why some people cant bear living with an elderly person...bcoz, they're such wonderful people to have around...although I admit that it gets tough having to take care of them at times
About 2 months back...my grandpa was down and it was because he had fallen sick...
He's a really old fashioned man and doesn't like depending on us...so when he doesn't feel well he won't tell us..
But I knew there was something wrong with him...coz he had no apetite, wouldn't go to town like he used to and slept a lot...the most worrying part was his apetite...
Lossing apetite made him even skinnier...and he was coughing a lot so we insisted in taking him to the doctor and it was found that his left lung was filled with phlegm...
So he had to take medicine..but it has side effects made him feel even worse than before
He felt so horrible that he asked my uncle to just take him to the hospital..(I was at Tioman at that time)..
Actually..his condition isn't serious...it was just that, he was feeling down for being unwell physically...the worrying part was that we could all see him kinda starting to give up even after returning home...Because of that his cellulitis came back and also had skin problems on his back and legs...(didn't take care constantly)
Not wanting to push himself to walk coz he was fearful of feeling breathless and no apetite...
So he became malnourished also....
I got worried and was frustrated at him coz he seemed like starting to give up in trying to get well..so I said a little prayer and asked God to turn him around and lift up his spirits again..
Few weeks later...I had a really long conversation with him..and he told me all his frustrations and problems...all I did was try to encourage him to pick himself up and be positive...
Wow!!(I was amazed at what one conversation can do) As each day passes after that he began to liven up...and started to eat a lot more than before
He even told me that he decided to try to improve his health to what it was before he got sick...
Now...as I look at him...he's so much happier....he was even singing to himself....
He was eating better and also starting to listen to me and my mum's advices....
I felt so happy for him...I'm so glad to see him this way...to hav my cheery grandpa back again!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sometimes i guess what grandparents want is juz care and attention from us and many adults tend to neglect that, they love it when people are willing to spend time to talk to them, which is very important. If they dun even get that, i think they'll think that there's no purpose of living anymore...glad u talked to him ^^ Gal, treasure him when he's still around,k ^^ I know u will anyway, haha...