Friday, December 22, 2006

Surgery....I'm Done....!!

Clinical School life have been moving so quickly I can't believe surgical posting's over and the toughest posting in sem 6...Internel Medicine...starts next week!!

I have to admit that switching from Family Med posting to Surgery was tough and it took some time for me to adapt with such busy schedules. It was pretty overwhelming at the beggining but thank God things soon got better with friends and helpful lecturers around.

The clinic and hospital environment are definitely 2 very different settings altogether. And to those people who still think that surgeons are just tailors or technicians and all they know is cutting open their patients...I can tell u for sure that you're very wrong!!

Here are some of the things I've experienced during my 7 week surgical posting:
  1. I forgot most of my basic sciences from phase I and had to struggle to answer questions from lecturers "????"
  2. Going to wards at night is super tiring!! Miss Family Med!!
  3. Mamak-ing....Watching movies....Lepak-ing....FUN!!
  4. We're not treating gallbladders or liver or lumps...we're treating people!! Patients!!
  5. Good place for a quick nap before TBLs or CSUs....Student Lounge!!
  6. PD Hospital is such a nice place....
  7. Standing in OT for 3 hours....haih...Leg Pain d!!
  8. Describing lumps..ulcers...swellings...Lipoma??Cyst??Attached to skin??Mobile??Arrgh!!
  9. PD Hospital's OT is like a freezer...Super COLD!! Bcome ICE d...
  10. Q:"Whats the difference between small gut and large gut??"... A:"Small gut is..SMALL; Large gut is...BIG!!"
  11. Q:"What do you see on an X-ray??" A:"BLACK and WHITE!!"....reply,"You will survive!!"
  12. Road trip to PD Hospital on my greenie car....a.k.a..."MiniBUS!!"
  13. Simple surgical procedures can make a whole lot of change to a patient's well being
  14. Surgeons do spend more time consulting patients than cutting them open.
  15. Nature is the best healer and doctors just witness the events take place while collecting money.
  16. Grilled by lecturers during case presentations until end of posting exam till no more sweat left....PHEW!!

Yes..I am relieved to have finished exams finally...but surgical posting turned out to be so much better than I thought it would be. I've learnt a lot from every surgeon whether the hospital staff or IMU lecturers...especially during case presentations although yea...leg also aching...back also painful...kena kutuk....but....these are the things that made it all interesting!!

Sad to say..its goodbye to surgery for now...and its back to square one with adapting to a new posting...Looking forward to this one though...Hopefully I'm right!!

No comments: